Do you feel that your nose is slightly oversized, the bridge is over-developed, or the nose tip is too much to ruin your facial profile?
Your nose influences the middle third of your face. When your nose is out of sync with other facial features, an aesthetically displeasing profile is created.
If the shape of your nose is stealing your beauty, you may consider rhinoplasty to make some refinements and provide harmony to your face.
Rhinoplasty or nose job is a cosmetic surgery to enhance the proportion of your nose to achieve facial harmony. In some cases, it is also done to correct impaired breathing due to a structural defect in the nose. Rhinoplasty is also referred to as nose reshaping by some patients.
But the question is,
Is rhinoplasty right for you? Are you a good candidate for rhinoplasty?
To get answers to these questions, firstly, you need to identify what you dislike about your nose.
Surgical rhinoplasty can correct:
- The size of the nose to achieve facial balance.
- Enlarged, drooping, hooked, upturned or bulbous nose tip.
- Wide, upturned or enlarge nostrils
- Nasal asymmetry
- Overdeveloped nose bridge or low bridge
- Nose profile with visible depressions or humps on the bridge.
*Rhinoplasty also corrects a deviated septum to solve breathing issues. Deviated septum is a common cause of breathing impairment. If that’s your case then after careful evaluation of the nasal structure, the nasal septum will be adjusted to achieve better alignment and improve obstructed airways.
If you want to consider a nose job due to any of the above cosmetic or medical reasons then from a purely surgical perspective, you might be a good candidate for rhinoplasty. But, that is not enough. Many other crucial factors are also taken into account such as your physical and psychological health, your lifestyle and habits to determine your candidacy for a nose job.
A good candidate for any surgery (including rhinoplasty) is a candidate who is likely to have a safe and pleasant surgical experience and is expected to obtain a favourable result.
You are a good candidate for rhinoplasty if along with medical or aesthetic considerations the factors discussed below are worthy of reflection.
To pass the candidacy for rhinoplasty, you must fulfil the following criteria:
1. Your facial growth is completed- Rhinoplasty is not for children or teens. As you grow, your face continues to change. So wait until you are an adult and your facial growth is completed or stable.
2. You are physically healthy- You may not be a good candidate for rhinoplasty if you have chronic health issues such as high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes or a bleeding disorder. Such cases carry the risk of complications during and after surgery, and also recovery is poor.
3. You have a healthy eating habit- A healthy diet comprising of nutrient loaded fruits, vegetables and whole grains ensures a quick recovery after surgery. If your eating habits are unhealthy, you are required to bring change to fit as an ideal candidate for a nose job. From one week prior the surgery switch to a balanced diet. Add foods that are rich in vitamin C such as sprouts, broccoli, green leafy veggies and citrus fruits to your diet. Being a potent antioxidant vitamin C improves healing. Also, drink lots of water to hydrate your body.
4. Non-smoker- Smoking delays healing. If you smoke, you are not an ideal candidate for any surgical procedure including a nose job. To have rhinoplasty done, you require to quit smoking for six weeks.
5. Psychologically stable- How much psychologically you are prepared for the surgery is a vital factor to consider before you undergo a nose job. If you have a positive attitude and have realistic goals in your mind regarding the improvement of your looks you are a good candidate. If you are in mid of personal or professional turbulence, for example, loss of loved ones, losing job or relationship conflict better delay the procedure until the problems resolve.
A nose job is an individualized procedure. You are not required to get it done to fulfil someone else desire but to boost your aesthetic look and confidence.
Those who make impulsive decisions regarding any cosmetic surgery may not be satisfied with the outcome. Being a little apprehensive is normal, but you should be comfortable with your decision and your surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to understand your nasal aesthetic goals. Expert cosmetic surgeons can achieve marked improvement. So it is always advised to take time and choose your rhinoplasty surgeon carefully and wisely after thorough research.
If you ask for a recommendation, we highly recommend ‘Dr Parag Telang’. Dr Parag is a well known, highly qualified, board certified, Mumbai based cosmetic surgeon. Discuss your goal, benefits and limitations of nose job with Dr Parag. During consultation Dr Parag will evaluate the structure of your nose in comparison with other facial features and after evaluation and considering your all over health he will tell you whether you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty and which procedure will suit you best to achieve desired and realistic goal.