If you lack a pleasing breast profile and are looking for a long-term solution, you can consider breast augmentation or breast augmentation surgery. Breast augmentation is also referred to as “boob job” or ‘breast aug’ by the patients. Medically the procedure is termed as ‘augmentation mammoplasty’. It is a cosmetic surgery to increase the breast size and create symmetry.
BREAST AUGMENTATION SURGERIES
1. Fat transfer mammoplasty- When fat from another part of the body is used to add fullness to the breast it is known as fat transfer mammoplasty. It may be done through liposuction or injections. The fat is usually removed from abdomen, hips, and thighs. The fat cells are injected after preparation and refinement into the breasts. This method is less conventional, and research is still going on to know its effectiveness and safety.
2. Breast implantation- In this procedure breast implant is placed under the chest muscles or breast tissue.
Types Of Breast Implant
1. Saline breast implant- As the name suggests saline water implants are sterile water-filled implants. If the shell of implant leaks the implant will collapse, and the body absorbs and expels the saline naturally. This type of implant offers uniform shape and firmness. This is mainly available in the US and FDA approves them for the females above 18 years of age.
2. Structured saline breast implants- These implants are not just filled with sterile saline water but also have an internal structure that holds the implant in a better way in comparison to saline breast implants.
3. Silicone breast implants- These are cohesive silicone gel-filled breast implants that render a more natural look to your breast. They are elastic and soft. If the implant leaks, it does not collapse, and the gel remains within the shell of the implant or escapes and get collected in the breast implant pocket. FDA has approved silicone breast implants since 2001.
4. Textured breast implant- This type of implant develops a scar tissue so that the implant sticks, becomes repositioned and moves less. It diminishes the tight scar capsule risk.
5. Smooth breast implant- These are soft breast implants, and they move with breast to render a natural look.
6. Gummy bear breast implant-Gummy bear breast implants are form-stable implants filled with cohesive gel. They maintain the shape even after the shell is broken. The silicone gel present inside it is thick in consistency. In comparison to traditional implants, it is firmer.
7. Round breast implants- As round breast implant have all over the same shape, it gives the breast a fuller appearance in comparison to form-stable implants.
We cannot define a typical breast augmentation patient. Women may want to have this procedure for several reasons. The common goals of having a breast augmentation are mentioned below.
Causes: Why You Need Breast Augmentation Surgery
*Breast augmentation is not a solution for drooping breast, and you need a breast lift for it. A breast lift may be done separately or at the same time along with breast augmentation.
Who Are Good Candidates For Breast Augmentation Surgery
Precautions Before Surgery
Following steps may be taken to prepare you for breast augmentation:
The breast augmentation surgery is done in following steps:
1. Anesthesia- The first step is the administration of anesthesia. In most of the cases, general anesthesia is given. In selected cases, local anesthesia is provided, and only breast area is numbed. The selection of anesthesia is made by the surgeon depending on the type of surgery and patient’s health condition.
2. Incision- To minimize the visibility of scar, the incisions are made in the inconspicuous areas. Which incision option is best for you will be decided by you and your surgeon. Also, the type incision required varies depending on the type of implant, the anatomy of your breast, personal and surgeon’s preference and desired degree of enlargement.
Under the breast’s crease short incisions are made that leaves 1-2 inches thin scar. The scars are easily concealed within the breast crease. This type of incision allows the placement of gummy bear and silicone implants precisely.
Here the incision is made around the outer edge of the areola. Thus, the resulted scar is placed within natural pigment transition. This type of incision is used when we need to perform mild or moderate breast lift along with breast implant.
The incision is made above the belly button. A saline breast implant is inserted through the trans-umbilical incision, and then it is brought up to the breast. There is a single scar made in this technique that leaves no scar on the breast. This cannot be used for silicone implants.
A small incision is made within the armpit where the chest area and armpit meets. The cosmetic surgeon places the breast implant with the help of specialized instruments and camera through the trans-axillary incision. The scar formed is under the armpit, and so breast augmentation is achieved without any scar on the breast.
3. Insertion and breast implant placement-Through the incision, the breast tissues are separated from connective tissue and muscles of your chest to create a pocket in the front or under the pectoral muscles behind the breast tissue. The implant is centered behind the nipple. The type of implant decides the method used to insert and place the implant.
4. The closing of incisions- The incisions are closed with layered sutures and the skin is closed with surgical tape or adhesive.
What To Expect?
You are taken to the recovery room after the surgery to monitor you closely. In an hour or so once your condition is stable, you are allowed to go home. During recovery, breast is wrapped with the gauze. A supporting bra or elastic bandage is recommended to support breast and minimize the swelling. Pain subsides in 1-5 days, but swelling and soreness of breast may take a few weeks to go. For a few days, the breast will be sensitive to jarring movements and physical contact. If non-dissolving sutures are applied, they are removed at a follow-up appointment. Also, if drainage tubes are placed, it will be removed during the follow-up appointment. If you had a sub-pectoral incision then for the first few days, your breast might seem to be settled high on the chest, but in a few months, it will sit in the optimal position. The final results take a few weeks. Incision lines may take a couple of month to years to fade.
Patients who had small breast or underlying asymmetry before surgery may have to wear a bandeau to shape their breast.
Breast health is not impaired by breast implant. Till date, no link has been found between systemic disease and autoimmune disease with breast implantation. Breast implant surgery does not guarantee lifetime result. In future, some patients may also need implant exchange or breast lift to restore youthful shape of their breast. Also, in future, the appearance of the enhanced breast may be influenced by aging, weight fluctuations, gravity, menopause and pregnancy.
Regular breast examination is a must after the surgery to evaluate breast health and impact of the breast implant.
The possible risks associated with breast augmentation surgery are as follows:
The chances of risks are rare, and the result lasts long if breast augmentation has been done by a qualified and well-experienced surgeon.
*If you experience fever, redness and warmth in your breast, pain in the chest or shortness of breath after surgery, contact your doctor immediately.
Precautions After Surgery
He is exceptionally good at his procedures. He examines thoroughly and provides treatments to treat the underlying cause of the problem. I went for blepharoplasty treatment under him, and he has remarkably restored the youthfulness of the eyes. Every time, I speak of him, my eyes gleam with pride. He is the best.✱ Results may vary person to person.
Dr. Parag Telang is perfect in his job. He leaves no stone unturned to bring out favorable results. He and his team devotedly work to provide results which are good for your health and personality.✱ Results may vary person to person.
Dr. Parag Sir is the best cosmetic surgeon in Mumbai. Very happy with the treatment & result. The entire procedure was very comfortable. Didn't experience any pain or discomfort and would recommend to anyone considering cosmetic treatment.!✱ Results may vary person to person.