Larger breasts do not always mean beautiful breasts. Shape and proportion are what matters. Women who have large breasts or macromastia and want to achieve the size of breast proportionate to their body can go for breast reduction surgery in Mumbai.
What Is Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast reduction surgery or reduction mammoplasty is the removal of excess tissue, fat and skin from the breast. It makes the breasts firmer, less bulky, reduces the size, improves symmetry, eliminates sagging and makes them aesthetically pleasing.
Breast reduction surgery is performed using any of the two procedures:
1. Liposuction- Liposuction is either done in conjunction with the excision technique or alone. In this procedure, only the excess fat tissue from the breast is removed. It is a less invasive method and leaves undetectable scars. The results are long-lasting. However, just patients who desire slight to moderate reduction in breasts size, have minimal or no sagging and good elasticity of skin can achieve optimal results through liposuction. In short, only those women will be benefited by this technique whose large breast size is because of excessive fat tissue.
2. Excision- Here breast reduction surgery is performed by making an incision on your breast and removing excess of glandular tissue, fat and skin.
Which procedure will be used to reduce the breast size depends on the patient’s condition, amount of the reduction, optimum result, surgeons advise and personal preferences.
Causes: Reasons Women Consider Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast reduction surgery is opted by females with disproportionately large breasts to mitigate following issues:
1. Chronic irritation and rash under the breast crease
2. The weight of the breast is causing pain in upper back, neck and shoulders that require painkillers for relief
3. Excess breast tissue limits physical activity
4. Nerve pain
5. Poor self-image, self-conscious, emotional or physical distress and lack of confidence
6. Difficulty in fitting into clothing and bra. Bra-strap causes shoulder indentation
7. Social stigma and unhappy with large breast size
8. Breast Sagging
Who are good candidates for breast reduction surgery?
What Are The Risks Related To Breast Reduction Surgery?
Breast reduction surgery is your personal choice. The chance of potential danger or complication is scarce if a board certified and an experienced surgeon is chosen. Below is the list of potential risks and complications:
Precautions Before Surgery
To prepare you for the surgery following steps are taken:
Breast reduction surgery in Mumbai is carried out in a hospital, office-based surgical centre, or ambulatory/outpatient centre. Depending on the extent of breast reduction the whole procedure takes 1-3 hours to complete. Mostly it is recommended to stay in the hospital for 1-2 days post-surgery. Breast reduction surgery includes following steps:
1. Anesthesia- For your comfort during breast reduction surgery, intravenous or general anesthesia is administered. Mostly general anesthesia is administered.
2. Incision- Incision in the breast may be done in any of the following patterns:
A circular pattern around the areola- The incision lines are more visible in this pattern. Scars are permanent. However, swimsuit and bra can very well conceal the incisions.
Racquet or keyhole pattern- Here two incisions are made. One is made circling the areola and the second one runs down to the breast crease vertically from the bottom of an areola. This pattern is for women who need a moderate breast reduction and in whom there is noticeable sagging. This type of incision allows the surgeon to remove excess breast tissue, fat and skin and reshape the newer and smaller breast. Also, this incision pattern enables lifting the breast to give a more youthful look.
Anchor-shaped or inverted- Here three incisions are made. One around the areola edge, second vertically from areola to breast crease and third underneath the breast along the crease. This incision technique allows maximum tissue removal and shaping. This approach is for patients with big breast size, asymmetry or significant sagging.
3. Removal of tissues and repositioning- The nipple is moved to the new position while it is attached to the blood supply. The required areola is reduced by skin excising. The breast tissue is lifted, removed and re-shaped. If the patient has sizeable pendulous breast, the areola and nipple are removed and then transplanted to a higher position.
4. Closing the incisions- To reshape the smaller breast the incisions are brought together. To create and support the newer breast, sutures are layered deep within the breast tissue. Skin is closed with surgical tapes and skin adhesives.
What To Expect?
After the surgery, your breast is covered with bandage or gauze dressing. For how long you will have to keep the dressing depends on recovery time. Excess of fluid or blood is drained by placing a thin tube under the arms.
Results are immediate but take a few months to be completely visible. For a few days, your breast might be bruised, swollen, sensitive to touch and tender. Although the incision lines are permanent, they fade, and appearance significantly improves with time. You might be recommended to wear elastic compression bra to support your breasts during the recovery period. If non-dissolving sutures are applied, then stitches will be removed in 1-2 weeks.
Successful breast reduction gives you a proportionate figure, improves your self-image and increases your ability to take part in physical activity. The results are permanent, however, in the future, pregnancy, weight fluctuations, gravity, hormonal changes and ageing may affect the size and shape of the breast.
Precautions After Surgery
For fast recovery your surgeon will recommend you following precautionary measures:
He is exceptionally good at his procedures. He examines thoroughly and provides treatments to treat the underlying cause of the problem. I went for blepharoplasty treatment under him, and he has remarkably restored the youthfulness of the eyes. Every time, I speak of him, my eyes gleam with pride. He is the best.✱ Results may vary person to person.
My nephew was born with ear deformity and no one could find a solution for that. Someone then suggested us Dr. Telang and we consulted him last month. I must say he is one of the best doctors!✱ Results may vary person to person.
Dr.Parag Telang is a magician, he does his work beautifully. I would strongly recommend him, one of the best doctor.✱ Results may vary person to person.